Palatial Bungalow / Museum word is more appropriate.
It’s a Government Museum, a protected monument under the Karnataka state division of the Archaeological Survey of India. It is named after popular King Keladi Nayaka Dynasty of the seventh century. Originally spread over 200 acres enclosing a fort.
Museum / Beautifully designed royal House is marvel carved in exquisite rosewood. Two narrow stairs on both sides lead to a Balcony and a few rooms. The balcony was used by King to hold his durbars.
Has open courtyard / Durbar Hall (Nobel court), with massive carved teak and rosewood pillars, lobed arched panels and Malnad styled roof overlooking the well-kept garden which houses few cannons and a massive bell.
The curving, Indo-Saracenic pillars are made of teak and rosewood.
Well maintained lawns surrounding the building as a rich collection of artistic sculptures, interesting Antiques, inscriptions, monuments.
Collection from Archaeological sites and temples excavated around Shivamogga in places like Bhadravati, Gurupura, Balligave, Saluru, Basavapatna, Shikaripura, Baruru, Belagutti and Kalkere.
Some of the notable artefacts include idols depicting reclining Vishnu, Surya, Uma - Maheshvara, Bhairava and Mahisasurmardhini.
Memorials and Sati stones - stones carved with tales of brave warriors and women who committed Sati. Hero stones of Hoysala / Keladi era and later periods can be seen here. Collection of It also houses Harappa and Mohenjadaro art, utensils and weapons which is a rarity in these parts.
Some historical manuscripts here contain substances from the Mahabharata, Ramayana, Kumaravyasa's Bharata and many other well-known manuscripts.
The museum displays the different ancient coins, armour, royal stamp, and other personal belongings of the royal dynasty members. Swords, knives, guns and other weapons used by the Keladi King. The precious gemstones that were brought from the kingdom of Hoysala are also displayed in this museum.
Shivappa Nayaka was known as Sistina Shivappa Nayaka because he introduced a tax system called Sist.
The Shivappa Nayaka Palace will soon be the world's first museum which displays around 150 iron rockets. Around 150 iron rockets of various sizes were found in an areca plantation belonging to Nagaraj Rao at Nagara, Hosanagar taluk in the district while desilting a century-old well.
Heritage committee of Shivamogga Smart City Project has planned to construct a walkway to connect the palace premises with the river bank and introduce sound and light show on the palace premises for tourists shortly.
As per Historian George Michell, the present Bungalow was actually built by the 18th century Mysore ruler Hyder Ali. During the British rule, they converted the palace into a saw mill to store logs. After Indipendence this was used as an office by the Forest Department and was handed over to the Department of Archaeology, Museums and Heritage in 1984. Finally, the monument was restored by the ASI to this current form.
Original palace was built by Hiriya Venkatappa Nayak of the Keladi Dynasty in the 16th century
The Vijaynagar Empire was declining and the Keladi Nayaks, who were ruling as chieftains under them, had slowly emerged emerging on their own. A local battle fought here between the Nayaks and the Palegars resulted in the former's victory and hence a fort and a palace were built here. The victory was however shortlived. Soon, Adil Shah of the Bijapur Sultanate destroyed it after a bitter battle and it was later rebuilt by Shivappa Nayak in the Indo Saracenic style.
Keladi Shivappa Nayaka (ಶಿವಪ್ಪ ನಾಯಕ) (1645–1660 AD) was a prominent ruler of the Keladi Nayaka Kingdom. The Keladi Nayakas were successors of the Vijayanagara Empire in the Malnad, coastal and some interior districts (Bayaluseeme) of modern Karnataka, in 16th century, before succumbing to the Mysore Kingdom ruled by Hyder Ali in 1763.
Shivappa Nayaka Museum can be visited throughout the year.
It is closed on Mondays, second Saturdays and other general holidays.
Time: 10am to 5pm